Intern with Senator Spilka!
Please note: Senator Spilka’s office is now accepting new interns for Summer 2015.
Senator Spilka is always looking for motivated individuals to work as interns in her State House office. Ideal candidates are professional and responsible and enjoy working in a fast paced environment.
An unpaid internship at the State House is a wonderful opportunity to gain firsthand knowledge of Beacon Hill and the legislative process. Internships are offered on a full or part-time basis and are available for undergraduate or graduate students.
As an intern, you will serve in many different capacities and learn how the State Senate operates. Some of your responsibilities may include:
- Attending committee hearings, issue briefings and meetings
- Preparing for Formal Senate Sessions
- Researching legislation and policy
- General office work including:
- Answering telephone calls and greeting visitors
- Sorting and opening mail
- Processing constituent correspondence
- Database entry
- Preparing and sending letters to constituents
- Filing, both traditional and electronic
- Working on special projects as needed
The particular policy areas an intern works on change from time to time, but in general involve economic development issues, environmental issues, transportation, education, healthcare, technology and land use. During their term, interns are encouraged to attend briefings, committee hearings and lectures of personal interest.
All are welcome to apply. Knowledge of or connection to the 2nd Middlesex and Norfolk district is a plus. To apply please submit a cover letter, resume and 1-5 page writing sample (excerpts are acceptable) to Puja Mehta at Puja.Mehta@masenate.gov.
Please call the office at (617) 722-1640 with any questions.